An experience with longtime friends got me thinking about the Northern VA real estate market and how it’s become a jungle out there. “Kill or be killed” as the saying goes.
Monday morning I got a Facebook message from my friend Tarzan that said “So Jane and I stopped by an open house yesterday just for grins . . . Uh Oh Chongo, we need The Belt Team!“. (Note: Names changed to fit the jungle theme – and to protect our clients.)
Apparently Tarzan & Jane had been debating over the past few months whether or not to renovate their current home – or whether to buy another home that was already updated. As part of their decision process, they had been stopping in to open houses to see what was out there, what other people had done and how much homes were going for. They weren’t ready to jump in to anything. Just gathering info.
But lo & behold, they walked into an open house on Sunday and fell in love. Hence the call to our team.
Well, if you have been following our Northern VA real estate blog, you know the market is crazy – with many areas in a Seller’s Market. The home Tarzan & Jane were interested in had gone on the market the previous Friday. So, by the time they contacted us it had been for sale for 3 days. We reached out to the listing agent on their behalf and it turned out they had already received a contract and were close to ratifying it. Unfortunately, Trazan & Jane did not already have a loan approval letter (since they were not “serious” about buying until they saw this home). Jane works for a credit union and could make that happen quickly. But the Seller preferred the “bird in the hand”, did not want to wait and so their dream home home sold to another buyer.
Moral of the story? It’s a jungle out there! Whether you’re in the market to buy or sell now – or whether you’re just thinking about it – you have to proceed like animals do in the jungle. “Kill or be killed.”
Here are 3 Tips to survive the real estate jungle:
Act Like A Cheetah:
Cheetahs don’t closely approach their prey and then slowly go after them. (Like what Tarzan & Jane did.) Instead, they stalk the animal and then charge it from a slight distance – at speeds no other animal can match. They also often hunt in groups. In the Northern VA real estate market, buyers need to act like a cheetah. They need to stalk the market, gather facts from expert hunters in their group (top notch Realtors), and then when they are ready – go in for the kill and do it fast. Realtors with long term partner relationships can make things happen fast.
I think folks who are contemplating buying or selling often hesitate to call a Realtor because they don’t want to be pressured, especially if they are not ready to do anything and are just in the fact gathering or mulling over the options stage. While this might happen if you speak with a Realtor who does not do much business, it’s not the case if you talk to a trusted Realtor with years & years of happy clients. Our reputations have been too hard won to risk losing by pressuring a client into buying or selling when they are not ready. People also tell us “we don’t want to bother you until we know what we want to do”. But, really, it’s not a bother. We want to make sure you make the best decision you can and one that is right for YOU. Talking to us can provide clarity and additional things to think about that you had not previously considered. And it’s our pleasure to provide that service.
Protect Like A Lion:
The lion is known as the “King of the Jungle”. They protect themselves with their roar, their large mouths and their claws. This jungle animal also travels with other lions (in prides). In the Northern VA real estate market, you need to protect yourself like a lion. And a top notch real estate expert can help arm you with the claws you need – with counsel on loan approval, inspections, pricing, staging & more.
Eat Like An Elephant:
Elephants are known for eating massive amounts of food (some say African elephants eat 600 pounds in a day!). We’re not recommending chowing down at your local “all you can eat” buffet; but if you’re contemplating buying or selling a home – you need to consume information the way an elephant eats. Now, you can do this yourself or you can do it with the help of a professional. In the African elephant’s case, he eats like this every day, day after day. He’s an “expert eater” so to speak. On the other hand, if you took that African elephant and put him in Antarctica every 5-7 years and watched whether he was good at gathering food, we’d guess probably not as good as the penguins. The same thing goes for real estate. You need to eat real estate info the way an elephant eats – market statistics, interest rates, renovation costs, buying conditions, legal implications, resale issues, tax considerations, etc. And since you probably don’t do real estate on a daily basis year after year, it’s kind of like the elephant in Antarctica. He’d find a lot more food if he consulted the local eating professional (the penguin). And so will you by consulting the best Realtors in Vienna, Oakton, McLean or wherever you are looking to buy or sell.
Click here if you would like to set up FREE email listing alerts for Northern VA about homes coming on the market in the area you’re looking to buy or sell. It’s a great way to be educated to the market BEFORE you’re ready to make a move. (There’s no obligation.)
For more tips on how to survive the Northern VA Real Estate Jungle, contact The Belt Team or call (703) 242-3975.
Real Estate Market
For Sale: $725,000More Information
Northern VA Real Estate - The BELT Way
3 Tips For Surviving The Northern VA Real Estate
Hyperlocal Update: Vienna VA
- 85 homes went under contract in Vienna in March. This is down 9% over March 2015.
- With 194 homes coming on the market in March, new listings were up 28% over the same month last year!
- Homes sold much more slowly this March than they did last year – with an average of 85 days compared to 53 days in March 2015.
- The interesting number is that 41% of the homes that sold in March in Vienna went under contract in 10 days or less! (Note: The homes that sold in March probably went under contract in January & February). And the trend continued, with 47% of the homes that went under contract in March doing so in 10 days or less!
- We currently have a 3.8 month supply of homes in Vienna. Overall, that puts us in a Balanced Market – with no advantage to either Buyers or Sellers. However, in any given price range, the numbers make skew very differently – making some price ranges a Seller’s Market and some a Buyer’s Market.
* Just Listed, Secret Inventory, Featured Homes & Open Houses
- Condo at 9th St in North Arlington
- Single Family Home on Jubilation Ct in Herndon
- Single Family Home on Stryker Ave in Vienna
- $275,000 - 11+ Acres in Lee's Crossing in Leesburg
- $725,000 - Land on Beulah Rd in Vienna
- $750,000 - 2420 Beekay Ct in Vienna
- $819,000 - 9401 Delancey Dr in Vienna
- $1,099,000 - 1400 Romeo Ct in McLean
- $1,495,000 - 6611 Fisher Ave in Falls Church
- $1,595,000 - 2329 Addison St in Vienna
- $1,595,000 - 343 Orchard St NW in Vienna
- Vienna Real Estate Stats
- Reston Real Estate Stats
- Oakton VA Real Estate Stats
- McLean Real Estate Stats
- Loudoun County Real Estate Stats
- Great Falls Real Estate Stats
- Falls Church Real Estate Stats
- Fairfax County Real Estate Stats
- Arlington Real Estate Stats
- Free Instant Online Home Valuation – What’s My Home Worth?